Sometimes it’s hard to relax when you’ve got a lot of stress in your life. As an autism mom, it’s sometimes difficult to get past the things that go wrong and move on, which adds to built-up tension and stress. What can you do?
Strategies for Dealing with Tension and Stress
- Go for a walk. Don’t take the kids with you (if possible). If you have to take the kids, make it fun by pointing out things along the way that will draw their attention or make it a search. We sometimes look for bunnies or lizards.
- Eat well. If you eat too much crap, you begin to feel more like crap. Find a healthy balance and eat foods that not only soothe you, but make your body feel better.
- Find a hobby. Do you like to draw, write, or read? Do something you enjoy! Those adult coloring books are pretty awesome!
- Phone a friend. Sometimes when we’re dealing with tension and stress, we forget to reach out to people. Find someone you can reach out to that won’t judge you for your feelings.
- Write it out. If you have no one to talk to, write about it. Get all those feelings out!
- Have a good cry. That’s right. Allow yourself to cry. Sometimes a good cry is the best release.
- Use essential oils. I wrote an entry about essential oils for autism, and many of those are good for relieving stress and anxiety. Sometimes, I’ll just put some scents on a wax warmer and breathe it in.
- Take deep breaths. Breathe in for ten seconds, and out for 20 seconds. Repeat. Take a break after about 10 breaths to prevent hyperventilation.
- Take a bath. After you put the kids to bed, make yourself a bubble bath. Close the door and lock it. The warmth of the bath will relax your body and if you add some essential oils to the water, you can double the impact.
- Find a support group. There are support groups everywhere online. Find a Facebook group, use Reddit, or just search for support groups for whatever is stressing you out. If you don’t have people to talk to in person, there are always people somewhere in the world going through the same thing you are. Reach out!
I hope these strategies help you relieve some tension and stress in your life. Make sure to check out this week’s writing prompts and link up!
I am so happy to see you here today for the return of Sunny Saturdays. I hope you’re having a terrific Saturday. This link-up is based on writing prompts, which you will find below.
Sunny Saturday Link-up
I would love to see you participate in this week’s link-up! I’m adding in something special this week. Come on in!!
This Week’s Prompts
- Write about something a nice stranger did for you.
- What is your release for built-up tension?
- Talk about a time that you experienced “Heaven on Earth”
Next Week’s Prompts
- When you think about all the roles in your life, which one would you keep if you had to give them all up but one.
- Write about something you do, even when you don’t feel like it.
- Which traffic sign would best illustrate your life now? Why?
Add your blog entry here!
Originally posted 2016-02-20 07:57:54.