Today my son woke up before 5 a.m. and I’m a bit sleep-deprived. Raising a child with autism can come with a lot of challenges, including stubbornness, meltdowns, and skills deficits. For that reason, as parents, it’s especially important that we take the time to stop and smell the roses. What can we appreciate about life, parenting, and raising a child with autism? This list includes a little of everything, because raising a child with autism means that we get to appreciate a little extra something that other people don’t.
30 Reasons to Smile While Raising a Child With Autism
- Our kids appreciate the little things we give them more.
- Warm cookies
- The sun coming up
- Hugs from our kids
- That perfect picture you took of him/her smiling (a rare treat)
- The sound of a child’s laughter
- Every day we see improvement
- Flowers blooming
- Those smile moments of silence
- Good meals
- When the right song comes on the radio
- Hot showers
- Ice cold drinks
- Coffee made just right
- People that understand
- Good teachers
- Watching the kids play nicely
- Their firsts
- Eating bad food that tastes good
- Hanging out with other autism moms
- Pay day
- Finally meeting the deductible
- Good assistive technology
- Being done with homework
- Dancing with the kids
- Knowing you’re loved by the best kids on earth
[ctt tweet=”Why You Have 30 Reasons to #Smile While Raising a Child With #Autism http://ctt.ec/dMT0f+ @embracespectrum” coverup=”dMT0f”]
What are your reasons for smiling?
Originally posted 2015-03-14 10:08:17.