Let’s face it. Waking up at 4 a.m. isn’t really my cup of tea. I’ve never been a morning person. Just ask my mom or my husband. Trying to talk to me first thing in the morning will likely result in a series of responses that resemble grunts and, if you push it, short irritable comebacks. I’d rather do so many other things than get up at 4 in the morning.
Recently, I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, further complicating things for me. No wonder I’m so tired, sore, and grumpy. I suffer from perpetual fatigue and I definitely do not go to bed early enough to compensate for early morning awakenings and occasional nighttime visitations by my little minions. Advice from the doctor? Go to bed earlier so that when I have to get up so early it doesn’t kill me so much. Sleep is vitally important for anyone, but especially for me.
So, yeah. Even though I’m going to bed earlier, I’d still rather not have to get up super early. Here are 9 things I’d rather do than get up at 4 in the morning:
- Eat pickles. I hate pickles. I’ll eat them, though, if you don’t make me get up. Just wake me up at a reasonable hour to eat them.
- Get bit by an ant. I had an ant bite that nagged at me for three days afterward. The itching. I don’t care. At least it didn’t make me so tired! I hate the tired, groggy feeling I get when I don’t feel rested. Itching, I can handle.
- Watch NASCAR. I find it incredibly boring, so it would probably help me sleep. Win!
- Read Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe again. What a dreadfully boring piece of 18th century literature. Again, it would probably help me sleep…so…win!
- Speaking of literature, let’s go up a century. I’d even read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I haven’t attempted it since AP English in my Senior year of High School, but what the heck?
- I haven’t seen Centipede and I heard that’s pretty bad. I’ll watch that.
- Watch that horrible ’80s movie my husband likes to watch with Mel Gibson in it. Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome.
- Listen to Country music. The twangy stuff.
- Lie in bed and SLEEP.
What did I do instead? Well, this morning my son just couldn’t sleep. He couldn’t. No amount of telling him to go to his room would help that. He had woken up Big Guy, us, the dog…the whole house. What recourse do we have at that point? I mean, I went to bed too late the night before, which really was poor planning on my part. I can’t stay up past 10:00 p.m. anymore. My new bedtime is 9:00 p.m. I should probably go to bed at 8:30, honestly.
Anyway, I got up. I got him dressed. I got him to put his shoes on. I did the same myself. Then, we went for a walk. He didn’t want to walk, so it was a small battle getting him out the door, but he needed to burn energy, and, according to my rheumatologist, I need exercise. So, walking when he wakes up is the solution. We searched for bunnies and birds. We did not find any bunnies, amazingly, but plenty of birds were out looking for food. We watched the sun come up. Most importantly, we got exercise and made something out of the morning.
I didn’t want to get up this morning, but I did. He didn’t want to get up either. I know he didn’t. We do what we have to do to get by. If he gets up at 4 in the morning, we walk. Would I rather do the 9 other things on my list than get up early? Sure. But if I have to get up, I’m going to walk. At least then I’m getting exercise and not wasting my breath telling him to go back to bed when I know he can’t.
Linking up with: Shell from Things I Can’t Say and Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop.
Originally posted 2014-07-22 19:45:15.