A little less than two months ago, Kathleen from the blog Lifestyle Building Blocks of Success nominated me for the Liebster Award. If you’re not familiar with the Liebster Award, bloggers nominate other bloggers who are relatively new and trying to establish their blogs. I have been blogging seriously for nearly 4 years, but am still not as established as I’d like, so it’s nice to get the nomination. I feel honored to receive this Award.
1. How did you decide on the name of your blog and what did it come from?
I chose the name of my blog very intentionally. I feel strongly that the diagnosis of autism does not mean complete devastation for a child or the child’s family. I feel that we should embrace those on the autism spectrum as the wonderful, diverse people that they are.
2. Where does your blogging inspiration come from?
My son inspires me almost every day, but I also gain inspiration from the children I work with while I’m teaching and from the people I talk to that either have autism or have a family member with autism. It’s hard not to become inspired when you see incredible things happening in the life of your child.
3. What is it that you love most about blogging?
I enjoy connecting with other bloggers and people on social media. There’s such a huge world out there that we don’t get to see, and blogging has begun to bridge lines of communication across miles that I’d never see in real life.
4. What is your favorite food?
My biggest weakness? Ice cream. Ice cream and chocolate. If we’re talking about real food, I’ve kind of fallen in love with risotto. I love making a good risotto. It seriously makes me feel all warm inside.
5. What is your favorite thing to drink (alcoholic or not)?
I’ve become addicted to Coke Cherry Zero. It’s awful because I went so long without soda in my life of any kind because I just couldn’t drink it due to a medication that made it taste just plain awful. Now that I’m not on that medication anymore (which also had the horrible side effect of making me kind of dopey by clouding my ability to remember things), I can drink soda again. But if loving Diet Cherry Zero is wrong, I don’t wanna be right!
6. What is an item you cannot live without?
I’m a technology junkie. When I forget my phone at home, I feel lost. But I will go entire day at home without looking at it because I’ve got access to the internet through my Lenovo Yoga Pro, which I won in a contest on a blog. I love this thing!
7. What are eleven random facts about yourself?
- I am the first person in my family to go to college and until recently, the only one for a couple of generations.
- Ever since I was a middle-schooler, I’ve wanted to become a famous writer. There’s still time…
- I love satire. Animal Farm is one of my favorite books. Stephen Colbert and John Stewart…anything that pokes fun at politics.
- I am a Christian, and that’s become a bigger part of my life in the past year than it has been for a long time. I feel blessed to have found a church family and to get my children involved in church activities.
- I like snakes. And a whole bunch of other animals. We practically have a petting zoo at our house at this point with our cat, dog, bearded dragon, albino leopard gecko, and our snake. Maybe I’m ridiculous for loving animals so much, but I can tell you that my children know how to handle creatures that no one else would even touch and I think that’s a good thing.
- I’m a huge Stephen King fan. I started reading his books something like my freshman year in high school and never turned back. I’m glad my husband shares my love of Stephen King books, because it makes it easier when another book comes out to read and I want it. Heck, I don’t even need to ask. He’ll get it before I do.
- Coffee is my kryptonite. I like coffee, but it does terrible things to my stomach. I drink it anyway. The best I can say to that is that at least it keeps me regular!
- I am a pacifist. I hate arguments. I refuse to start a fight with anyone and won’t even risk a conflict unless it’s about my children. Many times in my life, I’ve backed down when the fire got too hot for me to touch, so to speak. I just cannot handle the bad feelings that come from arguing.
- I am terrified of becoming a hypochondriac, but most of the things I’ve gone to the doctor about have actually really been issues. I have degenerative disk disease, I’ve had knee surgery, my gallbladder removed, endometriosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a pulmonary embolus…and I swear I must have 9 lives just like a cat. Who goes through all of that before the age of 30? I did. I’m still coping with the back, the knee, the endometriosis, and Fibromyalgia.
- My sense of humor is extremely dry. That’s probably explained by my love of satire. It can take a person who doesn’t know me a while to know when I’m joking and when I’m not. That doesn’t bode well for my autistic son since he doesn’t understand most jokes anyway, but we’ll figure it out. He’ll learn how to handle sarcasm by hearing it from me, I guess.
- I love sweet tea. Yeah, I thought I’d round it out there. I guess living in the south most of my life has informed my decisions about how to serve tea because I like mine sweet. There’s nothing like an ice cold glass of sweet tea…
8. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
You know, I am not sure. I certainly like to stay warm, so living somewhere that I can stay warm year-round or where I don’t need to deal with temperatures below 60 degrees would make me very happy.
9. If you could meet anyone from history, alive or dead, who would it be?
So it goes without saying (I think) that I’d love to meet Stephen King. Maybe he’s not a historical figure, but I have read his books, including his book On Writing, and I just love the way he writes. Talking to him in person would make my day. I can’t promise to say anything worthwhile, but I’d pretend that I did later.
10. What is your favorite outdoor activity?
If it’s not too hot (and not anywhere near cold), I love to go for a nice, long walk with my family. It just feels good!
11. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In 5 years? Hopefully I’ll find the job of my dreams, whether that’s working at a school as a teacher or doing something else. I can hope for better health, but by the time I near 40, I can imagine my back won’t work right at all and my knee will probably give out on me. Maybe I’ll become a bionic woman–something like Iron Woman. I’d be unstoppable!
Now it’s time to go forth and nominate the newest awardees of the Liebster Award. Drumroll, please.
And the winners of this coveted award, who I nominated because they’re new, shiny, and deserving of honor, are:
- Not a Puzzle Piece
- Tricia’s List
- Happy Healthy Souls
- The Grazie Girl
- Bowl Me Over
- Happiness Charging
- Mumble, Story, Grumble
- Be Mindful, You’re Creative
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEW NOMINEES OF THE LIEBSTER AWARD:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to do the following:
- Write a post about the fact that you’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award.
- In this post, link back to and show some love to the person who nominated you, also nominate 11 other new blogs that would not have more than 1000 followers. Let these nominated bloggers know that you have nominated them and provide a link back to your page to ensure that they are familiar with the Award.
- Display the Award in your post and in your side bar.
- Answer the questions about yourself.
- Put your post with your nominated 11 blogs for the Liebster Award, on social media. Spread the love!
- How did you decide on the name of your blog?
- Where does your blogging inspiration come from?
- What is it that you love most about blogging?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite thing to drink (alcoholic or not)?
- What is an item you cannot live without?
- What are eleven random facts about yourself?
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
- If you could meet anyone from history, alive or dead, who would it be?
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Thanks again, Kathleen, for nominating me for this award and helping me get my name out there. I hope that you, my readers, will go visit her blog and the ones above.
Have a fantastic day!
Originally posted 2015-06-24 08:00:00.