As a parent of two children, let alone the parent of a child with autism, a wife, and a teacher, it’s rare that I get a moment where I control what’s on the television and watch what I want to watch all by myself. Thankfully, my husband and I share the same tastes in television in many regards, but sometimes I like to watch things that he doesn’t, and by the time I get around to watching my shows, Hulu has a cache of 3-4 episodes of each show waiting for me. Here’s my Top 10 List of What I Like to Watch on Television:
- Parenthood – Drama, A child with Autism, an adult with Autism learning to navigate life, family…what more could you ask for? I have to say that I go through Max withdrawals when they choose not to show him in episodes, though. I watch the show for that family unit because I relate the most to them. I love watching their victories and showing the hopeful side of Autism.
- Law & Order: SVU – So, maybe this is the polar opposite of Parenthood in that there is always a victim, but they do always catch the bad guy. I guess I just like dramas. I got totally caught up in that whole Benson & Lewis suspense.
- Modern Family – I love a good comedy, too. Phil is the best because he’s so goofy. He’s very much like my husband (slightlygoofier and muchclumsier though) and I’m more like Claire. I like how they weave the families together and I appreciate their acceptance of all types of families.
- The Middle – I am a big fan of Brick. They won’t say he’s on the spectrum directly, but they hint at it a lot. The Hecks just aren’t the type of family that will bother with labels and diagnoses, though. Brick is fine, though. Smart kid. Loses things and does it all last-minute, but is able to help his college brother with homework.
- Docudramas – If it’s about something I really care about, I’m all over it. I like to watch stuff about the weighty issues that make me cry. I want something that will evoke some emotion and make me care.
- Grey’s Anatomy – I know quite a few people have already stopped watching it, but I’m still hooked. I think it’s great that Christina Yang left the hospital. Maybe Meredith can make new friends. She finally stood up to Derek about needing to keep her job. Who knows where that will go!
- Sappy Movies – Yeah, that’s right. Every now and then, I’ll turn on some chick flick that I wouldn’t get to watch otherwise. I watched Girl Most Likely the last time I was by myself. I wouldn’t call it the Movie of the Year or anything, but for a cute chick flick kind of movie it did the trick.
- New Girl – Who’s that girl?! It’s Jess! It’s a chick flick in less than 30 minutes. Perfect! I love it.
- The Following – When it was still on, I was addicted. Crazy addicted. What a suspenseful show!
- Nothing at all – Seriously. When no one is home or my husband is at work and the kids are asleep, sometimes I turn OFF the tv for some peace and quiet. Silence is golden.
Originally posted 2014-05-28 02:28:23.