As a parent, I am constantly critical of myself. I can think of so many things that I could’ve done better. I often wonder if I’m doing enough, especially when I see other people’s kids behaving better than mine. I do try to remember my circumstances are different…after all, I have a child with Autism. But still, I wonder.
What I hope is that when my children grow up and become adults, they will be able to think back and remember the things I did right. I don’t expect that all the memories will be happy. I mean, sometimes life just sucks. Sometimes I’m going to make mistakes. I just hope the good outweighs the bad.
Now, I know my parents are aware they made mistakes. I know from time-to-time they’ve been reminded of them. But I’m not sure if they realize the things they did right. So this list is for them.
10 Things My Parents Did Right
(in no specific order)
- They showed genuine pride in my accomplishments.
- They loved me
- They always made sure I had clothes and food
- They made me pay for the extras when I was old enough to get a job
- They expected more of me
- They had rules, and I had to follow them
- They talked to me in an honest way about things that I didn’t want to talk about, but probably needed to
- They taught me about the importance of vehicle maintenance
- They taught me to cook
- They had fun with me (water fights, Busch Gardens, bike rides, etc.)
BONUS: They had me. I’m a shining example of perfection, right? (Kidding, kidding)
Originally posted 2012-08-13 14:32:00.